Sometimes I just don’t want to shell out the cash for a lighter or darker shade of my favorite foundation. Ya feel me?! Thus, I wanted to share my “lazy girl” tips on how to adjust the shade of your foundation!
3 Ways to Adjust the Shade of Your Foundation
#1 Foundation Mixers – Lighten & Darken
Once upon a time, like circa 2016, these did not exist … so I’m forever thankful that brands started making these! Foundation mixers are meant to adjust the shade and tone of your liquid foundation. I will give you a few different options, but I must say that NYX Professional Makeup really nailed it with several options to pick from!
- NYX Makeup Pro Foundation Mixer – $9.99
- The Body Shop Shade Adjusting Drops – $12 (On Sale!)
- Clinique Blend It Yourself Pigment Drops – $33
- Cover FX Custom Cover Drops – $44
- Hard Candy Glamoflauge Mix-in Pigment Drops – $8.25
- L.A. Girl Foundation Lightener (White) – $10
#2 Liquid Bronzers
I use this option most often mainly because that’s what I have on hand at the moment (BareMinerals bareSkin Sheer Sun Serum Bronzer) and the formulas are usually lighter and my skin digs that (my pores clog if anything is too thick)!
- bareMinerals bareSkin Sheer Sun Serum Bronzer – $28
- Benefit Dew the Hoola Matte Liquid Bronzer – $28
- PUR Bronze Your Selfie Liquid Bronzer – $26
- Giorgio Armani Maestro Bronzer – $64
- Dr. Perricone No Bronzer, Bronzer – $35
#3 Powder Bronzers
You can get by with a foundation a few shades lighter than your actual skin tone if you bronze up your face really well! Here are some of my favorites!
- Too Faced Sweethearts Bronzer – $30
- Becca Sunlit Bronzer – $38
- Glamour Dolls Lisa Frank Bronzer – $4.99
- Benefit Hoola Bronzer – $29
- Lottie London Tan Time Powder Bronzer – $6.99
- Physicians Formula Butter Bronzer Murumuru Butter Bronzer – $14.99
- NYX Professional Makeup Matte Bronzer – $8.99
Bonus – Use a Darker or Lighter Concealer
If you have a darker or lighter concealer on hand mix a little in your foundation or on top of your foundation. Example: If your foundation is too light, apply a darker concealer in the areas you would contour or bronze! My favorite concealer that has amazing coverage is Tarte Shape Tape Concealer!
Have any foundation shade adjusting methods I didn’t mention?! Let me know in the comments below! Have a Sweet day!